Jellyfish and weevers
Jellyfish can be very annoying when you are stung by them. They are often seen in the shallow water when there is an eastern wind. You can see at the picture below for a short explanation on how they get to the beach.
Normally, the jellyfish are at the bottom of the North Sea. When there is an offshore wind, the upper layer of the sea is pushed away. This pulls in the bottom layer, bringing in the jellyfish.
When stung, what does it look like?
Symptoms on the spot can be swelling, redness, itch an a bit of pain.
What to do when stung?
Firstly: do not rub on the spot. try to flush the stinging cells off with sea water. Do NOT do this with normal tap water. When the pain continues, go to the lifeguard tower for further treatment.
With a strong allergic reaction: call 112!
Besides jellyfish stings, you can also be stung by weevers. They dig themselves in the sand and wait for prey. When you step on one of them, you get stung. Weevers are one of the few venomous fish in the North Sea.
Luckily, the venom is not deadly, but it can hurt very much. The venom is easily disabled by running warm water over it. The water should be as hot as you can handle (minimal 40 degrees Celsius). Do not burn yourself! You can also come to the lifeguard tower.